Monday, September 06, 2010

L'Arête Kuffner on Mt Maudit 4465m




So after our skiing we trundled back to Chamonix stopping at Arnad to climb the classic Bucce d'Arancia .
The next day we made a leisurly start and took the Aiguille du Midi cable car over to Italy where we strolled over to the Fourche Bivy. I was a bit worried because I had no idea how busy the bivy might be. As we approached there were signs of climbers already there.

I was somewhat surprised when I stuck my head through the door to find the occupants were not unshaven grotty alpinists but two good looking women.

Next morning we left the hut at about 5.00am there were other climbers coming directly from the Torino hut who held us up a bit , but eventually Charles and I managed to overtake them and get into a good rhythm helped by perfect conditions we were able to reach the summit in just under 4 hours.
I would have no issue with the guide book which described the route as one of the finest climbs in the alps. It was magnificent.

No comments: